9.22.2005

The Summoning of Everyman

My drama class read this play as part of a unit on medieval theater, and to my surprise, enjoyed it! (I am always thrilled when my students get why I love a play so much).

If you haven't read it, the play is an allegory about this guy (Everyman) who represents humanity (um ... duh) and God summons him to give an account of his life. So Everyman tries to get all his friends to go with him, but they won't, because going to God requires, you know, DEATH. Only Good Deeds agrees to make the journey, but she's weak, on account of she's chained down with Everyman's sin and also she hasn't had much exercise; probably, if there were a character named Bad Deeds, that guy would be a MONSTER. Anyway, they go, and Everyman dies, and Good Deeds is there, the end.

The assignment for the play was to write a parody. I always have misgivings when I assign students to write their own plays; it's difficult to know what inspires them, or what television shows influence them. I had visions of South Park-like epics of cursing and poo.

But my kids really came through. Their parodies were, for the most part, smart and witty and FUNNY. (My favorite was the ghetto version, Irrman). Who'd have thought?

I guess they listened when I said, "I don't officially endorse it, because there are some things that could be deemed offensive, but if you're ever flipping through the channels and, you know, accidentally come across Monty Python's Flying Circus, you might want to sort of but I'm not saying you should, just that I would, but I'm an adult and don't have to worry about my impressionable mind anymore, WATCH IT."

I try to cover myself in stream-of-consiousness; it makes it harder for people to sue.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena