8.29.2005

Staying on the Right Side of the Law

It was a good day today.

My speech class gave acceptance speeches; we had many awards, including Fastest Toothbrusher, Best Supporting Actress, NBA MVP, and Best Weave. My kids are so creative!

As we are about to experience the effects of Hurricane Katrina, I asked my class, most of whom introduced themselves with stories of their relationships with God (how awesome is my school?!?) to pray ...

I trailed off there, because I didn't want to get in trouble with The Law. Especially since we now have an ACLU Club at school. Ahh, I remember the good old days when I was in high school and a local pastor would say a prayer over the loudspeaker before every athletic event.

Man, are those days gone.

I revised my statement: "Please ask whatever Higher Power you believe in (if you do believe in one--I am not trying to push my religious beliefs on you, and I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of pressing my morals on anyone, so if you don't believe at all I am not judging you and if you do please pay attention to the rest of this sentence, thanks) if he or she would please spare the piers in New Orleans ... so I can go on my cruise."

I think the ACLU Club will give me a pass on that one.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena