2.21.2007

Book Club: Tuesdays with Morrie

I think I saw something about this book on Oprah once, and I'm sure she raved over it and loved it and convinced everyone in the world to buy it.

But I ... am not impressed. And I know that will probably bring the Wrath of Oprah down on me, but I just didn't find it to be inspirational or whatever.

I'm just not sure that Morrie didn't crib all his aphorisms and truths from Thoreau and Emerson. Maybe the people who picked up Tuesdays with Morrie have never read Thoreau and Emerson, and this is sort of the Cliffs Notes version.

I don't mean to say that Morrie wasn't a wise man, or that he wasn't worthy of the memoir; I do think the book itself is a lovely tribute from a student to his teacher.
I usually like books about inspirational teachers, too, but I just could not get into this at all. I was bored, actually.

But I was kind of hoping for something--I don't know--fresh. And this wasn't FRESH, to me; maybe it's because I've seen Dead Poets' Society five hundred seventy-five times and there are only so many ways to say, "Carpe Diem."

The girl who picked it for our book club said she sat in a restaurant bawling as she read it. I fully expected to get choked up, at least, because I'm not good with the death genre, but I didn't. Maybe I am just coldhearted and cynical. Or maybe she was drunk.

3 comments:

Dreamy said...

lol. I knew there was a reason I kept putting it back. I quit my last book club after we had Atlas Shrugged back to back with The Christmas Shoes. *shudder*

Mei said...

Agh! The Christmas Shoes! I canNOT listen to that song; I wouldn't even attempt to read the book.
Also ... Atlas Shrugged is a good way to break up your book club. That sucker is HUGE; I would take one look at it and be like, "I'm out."

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I figured Tuesdays with Morrie would be treacle, but my kids eat that stuff up, so I should probably read it one day, bracing myself for a reaction similar to yours.

On the other hand, a few bloggers I know are getting together a blog book club, and we're starting with What is the What by Dave Eggers, a selection that is turning out QUITE well.

 

Made by Lena