8.18.2009

What My Students Know

The curriculum and workbooks for my world history class include a great deal of information about Michelangelo. So I gave one of the handouts to my class and, before we started reading--activating prior knowledge, like a good teacher would--I asked, "What do you guys know about Michelangelo?"

Student 1: "He painted the ... uh ... the ... Saxton? Chapel?"

Me: "Do you mean the Sistine Chapel?"

Student 1: "Yeah, that's the one."

Student 2: "He did that one statue?"

Me: "Which one do you mean?"

Student 2: "You know. The ONE."

Me: "Could you be more specific?"

Student 2: [sighs as if offended] "The ONE. Of the DUDE. Who is NAKED."

Me: "Do you mean The David?"

Student 2: "I don't know. I guess."

Student 3: "Ms. Flower! Ms. Flower! I know something about Michelangelo!"

Me: "Okay, hit me."

Student 3: "He's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!"

Me: [sighs as if offended]

No comments:

 

Made by Lena