1.23.2008

Bits and Pieces

I talked to Ms. AP about my evaluated class today. She was very complimentary. Well. Obviously.

I love Ms. AP; she is very fired up and positive, and I can tell she really wants what is best for our school. She said, "When I walked in the room and saw who was in there, I knew exactly why this class was a challenge." I said, "Well, I wanted SOMEBODY to know."

We talked about some of the things I've started doing this semester to motivate my fourth period class (over half of whom failed last semester). So I was naming all these things, and she was saying, "Mmhmm, mmhhm," and then she said, "Ms. Flower, these are great! Are you in a class right now? Because these are some of the more innovative research-based strategies that are coming out now." And I was like, "How dare you, madam! All my ideas are ORIGINAL and NEW." It's funny how we always think we're the first ones who've ever thought of something.

In the end, we both agreed that I am awesome and signed a paper that said so. That was a good evaluation.

******

I wrote one of my fourth period darlings up and he came to my room during first period today. "Mr. AP told me to come talk to you," he groused. "I'm teaching a class right now," I said, and he turned and stomped out the door, but not before he called me a bitch.

So when I saw Mr. AP in the hall today, I told him about that little exchange. He said, "That's the kind of thing that can get him suspended from school," he said. "Well, you've gotta do what you've gotta do," I replied. That kid gets on my nerves.

******

My speech classes are doing a giant project that ties in with job interviews and career assessments. I took them to the computer lab to use a program that tells them what they're ideally suited for, based on their likes and dislikes and so forth. Some of them are very angry that the program does not explicitly tell them that they should be forensic scientists or barbers or whatever other career they've chosen for themselves.

In my wisdom, I say nothing, because when I was in the tenth grade I wanted to be a veterinarian.

******

Today I re-enacted the balcony scene of Romeo and Juliet BY MYSELF for my English class. It involved a lot of getting down on my knees and then getting up on my toes. And speaking in a British accent. And jazz hands.

My kids loved it.

******

When I got my caffeine-free Diet Coke out of the machine this morning, a regular Diet Coke came out with it. I slowly walked back to my room, trying to decide which one to drink. It's been three weeks since I've had caffeine ... but I was really tired this morning. Plus, I got that Diet Coke for free; it's like the universe was trying to tell me something!

I gave it to the teacher next door. Best not to let temptation get its foot in the door.

******

Random thing said at lunch today:

"I was in college when Kurt Cobain died. We all wore our flannels at half-mast."

******

My speech classes are giving demonstration speeches this week. We had one today in which a student demonstrated how to play War Hammer. I think this is a role-playing game, like Dungeons and Dragons (I don't know anything about that one either, so it's just a guess). When he was gone, I asked, "So ... does everybody have to bring their own ... box of ... people?" (I still think this is a legitimate question).

"Khhhuuuuuuuuuh, Ms. Flower," said the girl next to me. "It's called an ARMY."

******

Finally, you might have noticed that I've added my 2008 books and movies/dvds to the sidebar.

Sadly, the book list is much, much shorter than the movie list. It would be longer, except I seem to be choosing most of my books from the nineteenth century. Those take time, you know.

I just don't want people to think I'm stupid, that's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have had an infinitely better day than I have, so good on you. The latter half consisted of hardcore sentence diagramming the likes of which would make most people go freaking crazy...

I was kinda almost in college when KC died, but even better, I've painted some warhammer 40k armies. (40k is the futuristic one--I think)

Congrats on the evaluation.

 

Made by Lena