12.11.2007

Randomizer

Sometimes I have to question my own tastes, and I have periodic bouts of WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

When I was in college, the Dukes of Hazzard came on (what was then) TNN. I LOVED the Dukes of Hazzard; I even had the board game (side note: It was the same game featured in an episode of CSI -- the one where Nick is buried alive; Quentin Tarentino directed it). We went to my grandparents' house one year and I remember writing a note to remind myself to turn on the tv at 7:00, because at home in Virginia we watched it at 8:00, and I didn't want a piddly thing like a time zone change to keep me from my Dukes. Well, from Bo, specifically. I was seven, sue me.

So I was super-excited when it began re-airing on TNN, and ... it sucked. Not sort-of/maybe, not sporadically, but a full-on, forty-eight minute, pantyhose-with-shorts, "This here's Roscoe P. Coltrain!" bucket of slurpitude.

I had kind of an existential meltdown at the age of 20, on account of if the Dukes were total lame-os, but I thought they were awesome, did that mean all of my childhood beloveds were not the pinnacles of magnificence I thought they were?

Was my legendary pop-culture castle nothing more than a tacky house of cards, complete with Jungle Room and heart-shaped bed? Could it be that Bill and Ted, Jordan Knight, and all of the Goonies were not the heroes I had made them, that they were undeserving of the entire wall with which I had papered their Bop(ped) and Tiger Beat(en) visages? (ANSWER: absolutely NOT, no, and no ... except for Corey Feldman).

Oh, I'm over it now. My advanced age (32) is a shame-shield; I openly admit that my tastes are equal parts eclectic and horrible. That's not to say that I don't blush when I recall some of my early obsessions. I mean, it's not like I'm wearing my Jem t-shirt (--in public) or sporting two pairs of socks with my white plastic ankle-high jazz shoes with the flower-shaped cut-outs. Even I'm not THAT far gone.

I said all that to say this:

My iTunes is on shuffle, and it keeps playing Creed.

I know, I know. I judge MYSELF.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena