12.19.2007

Knitting Catch-up

I haven't posted any knitting content for awhile, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy. Here are some of my recent projects, on a lovely background of wrapping paper, since I took these outside and didn't want to step on the concrete in my socks.



I finished these some time in October.










Yarn: Opal
Needles: US size 2 dpns
Pattern: toe-up, 4x1 rib over 60 stitches, short row heel
Verdict: I love these socks; they are soft and warm and keep my feet nice and toasty.





While I was taking pictures, I got all self-conscious about how my feet looked, so I put my shoes on.






I finished these about three weeks ago. I started them on two circular needles, hoping to finish both socks at once, but I HATED that technique and went back to the double points. I did, however, work them both pretty much at the same time, in that I would switch back and forth between them so they were usually at the same level of progress. It took about a week to finish both.

Yarn: Sol Joy, color 801
Needles: US size 2
Pattern: toe-up, stockinette over 60 stitches, short row heel, 3X1 cuff
Verdict: The yarn is very elastic ("sproingy," I've called it in my head) and it knit up beautifully, with no splitty threads to worry about. You can see, though, that the cuffs are a little big; I probably should have gone down a needle size.








Only one finished, but I'm going to have to unravel it. I call this my Homecoming Sock, because my original plan was to finish the pair in time for Homecoming; burgundy and gold are the school colors.






I had to learn a whole new technique, entrelac, which is where you knit a square and at the same time attach it to another square. It's looks more complicated than it is, but it still is more complicated than just knitting a plain stockinette pattern and is therefore not good for tv knitting. Anyway, it's too tight in the heel/ankle section, and I had to tug it hard to get it on. I even went up a needle size when knitting, so I guess I have some kind of crazy-tight gauge.

Yarn: Wildfoote, Bark colorway; Phildar, um ... something yellowy
Needles: US size 2
Pattern: Entrelac Socks by Eunny Jang, from Interweave Knits, Spring 2007
Modifications: knit on size 2 needles instead of size 1, used my standard toe instead of the recommended turkish cast-on, knit the heel in the contrast color instead of main color (because I was worried about how much yarn I had left), knit to calf rather than making knee-highs (which is still longer than any of my other socks)
Verdict: I like how it looks, but I can't wear it.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena