10.29.2006

Show Excitement! Or Emotion!

My theater class is reading Othello, but we're using No Fear Shakespeare, which places the original text and a modernized version side by side. I love to see how a random person deciphers Shakespeare's language, re-interpreting the inside jokes and idioms for the modern-day reader.

In Act II, Iago is speaking to someone--I think Cassio--and he says, "Good Lord!" in disgust. I wondered how Shakespeare had treated that particular exclamation, so I looked across the page: "Blessed pudding!" it said.

I think that might be the awesomest interjection I've ever heard, and I am hereby making a solemn vow that I will find some way to use it every single day for the rest of my life.

title inspired by "Interjections!" from Schoolhouse Rock

No comments:

 

Made by Lena