10.02.2005

My Medicine Wants to Kill Me

My dad called me last week. Here's our conversation:

DAD: I saw a thing on the news about Strattera [my ADD/ADHD medication, that I LOVE, that I CANNOT FUNCTION WITHOUT, that I take every day, except during the summer]
ME: Yeah? What'd it say?
DAD: They have this new study that says it may cause users to commit suicide.
ME: Oh.
DAD: Have you had suicidal thoughts?
ME: WHAT? NO!!! [this is true]
DAD: Just checking.

Aaaand ... scene.

So I haven't thought about killing myself. There are several reasons, not least of which is that I am afraid if I die in my house alone, my cat will eat my face. Also, I am too awesome to die.

I started checking some information online (because everyone knows the internet doesn't lie) and found that Strattera can cause suicidal thoughts and liver disease. My liver should be super-healthy, given my aversion to alcohol (it smells bad, it tastes bad, and it makes you have ugly teeth. What? Leave me alone).

Still, the internet suggests that I monitor my pee to see if it turns dark. This is just as disgusting as it sounds.

So far: I'll spare you the details, but my liver seems to be working JUST FINE.

2 comments:

John A said...

Hyped from a questionable study.
--------

A couple of years ago, I was told by a doctor that dark urine was a sign of dehydration.

Oddly, I asked while I was hospitalized because mine had turned absolutely clear - never before or since that time in hospital. Thing is, I am accustomed to drinking over a gallon of liquid (milk, coffee, soda in that order) per day, and while hospiatlized I was drinking less than a quart. Huh???

Mei said...

Good Lord, you must have to pee ALL THE TIME!

 

Made by Lena