3.23.2011

I'm Magic

Like many new homeowners, I spend most of my paycheck on the mortgage and other house-related bills, which means that the furnishings around here are pretty sparse on account of I'm so po' I can't even afford the other half of that word.

Thrift stores have been a godsend, and I've haunted every single one in the local area, to the point that I recognize the workers and they recognize me.  I am not even embarrassed about this.

One thing that's really helped me as I've shopped in these stores is my ability to envision improvements.  So when I see something on the shelf at Goodwill, it might be really ugly, or broken, or old-fashioned, but I try to figure out how to make it into something I can use and display in my home.

Case in point:
I bought this old lamp for $5.99 after only one look at it.  It was super-ugly, and it was caked in dust, and it had an old-timey plug on it, the kind that doesn't have one metal thingy that's bigger than the other (try not to be intimidated by my technical language).

So I brought it home and looked at it for a while and tried to figure out what, exactly, I was going to do with it.  Well, the first thing I did with it was take it all apart, because that is my MO, even if sometimes it ends with me having to take my car to a mechanic so he can put the inside of the driver's side door back on.  Hypothetically speaking.

Moving on.  I took the lamp apart and took all the pieces outside, where I spray-painted the metal parts and the glass part and the patio.  I used Oil-rubbed Bronze on the metal and Blue Ocean Breeze on the glass.  Then I thought, "Lemme see if I like how it looks if I sand a little of the blue off, so it looks all shabby and whatnot."  It turns out that I don't like that look at all.  AT. ALL.  So I had to sand the glass part and remove all the paint, and then repaint it.  Way to go, genius.

I bought a lamp kit at Home Depot and actually read the directions wired the whole lamp without electrocuting myself--though I did wear rubber-soled shoes, just to be safe.  It totally works, AND I am still alive to boot!  Miracles!


Attention hog!

The shade came from another lamp that I bought at a different thrift store.  It was pretty yellowed with age, though, so I had to rehab it.  And by "rehab it," I definitely mean "bleach the daylights out of it."  That shade sat in my bathtub for a week, and the tub itself ran yellow with years of accumulated yuck.  The trim around the bottom was originally gold; now it's silver.  I don't play when I bleach stuff.


My success with this lamp has turned me into a spray-painting fool!  I spray-paint everything.  EVERYTHING!!  In fact, some weekend I'm not going to have anything to spray-paint, and my neighbors are going to think I've died; that's how much I do it.

Little by little, I'm putting things in order.  Thrift shop finds are all OVER this house, and I plan to post more of my DIY home improvements eventually.

When the spray-paint dries.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Love the lamp! I look forward to seeing more of your home-improvement projects!

women leather shoes said...

Having given up his nomadic lifestyle, he and his family have settled joining Andrew in Northern California.
The CWMALLS provides Leather Hobo Handbags black at http://www.cwmalls.com also pretty good!

 

Made by Lena