7.08.2008

Childhood Favorite: Pippi Goes on Board

Pippi Goes on Board Pippi Goes on Board by Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking was my hero when I was a little girl. Come on: the strongest girl in the world? who's richer than God? and lives by herself? with a horse? and a monkey?

I LOVED HER.

This is the book where Pippi goes on a picnic, gets shipwrecked, and is reunited with her father. I always get a lump in my throat at the end, whether I'm nine or twenty-nine ... or older.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Pippi is a real feminist icon. She takes care of herself, she doesn't rely on any man (well, at nine years old, she's a little young to be a trophy wife anyway), she's generous but not a doormat, and she does pretty much whatever she wants.

On the other hand, she's not really a model of educational excellence, as is proven when she writes herself a letter. However, I too have found that "pluttification" is not a necessity in my real life.

She is just, but not cruel. In this book, Pippi rescues a horse from its master's whip, but she doesn't whip the master (like I would have). And she makes a horrible man pay for ruined hot dogs after doling out her special brand of justice.

So I guess the truth is right here: I STILL LOVE PIPPI LONGSTOCKING.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That old lady's comment at B&N brought back pleasant memories, I see. I knew there had to be a speech or a blog in draft mode being prepared in your head. I wonder if "Scooter" will read about Pippi and see her as a true feminist? Very interesting...

 

Made by Lena