6.20.2008

Let me explain

I'm going to be a vegetarian for a week. I was a vegetarian once for, like, three days, when I was twelve. Then somebody grilled up some hamburgers and I decided to let the animals fend for themselves.

Now, though, I rarely eat meat at home, because I hate to cook, so I don't. But since I've started to live a little greener, I've also started thinking about lots of other stuff, including the way animals are treated before being slaughtered. It all kind of came together this week through two things:

1. A woman in my class talked about how she only buys free-range meats now; she calls it "happy meat." It may cost a bit more, but it does sort of ease the conscience to think that the animals at least had a fairly happy life ... before I ate them.
2. Morgan Spurlock's show 30 Days on FX was about a hunter who went to live with some animal activists. I don't like PETA, and never will, but I do like rational people who can talk with some intelligence about what changes can be made to make the beef industry more palatable, if you will, to animal lovers. This episode showed a cattle ranch; I don't think that's what you call it, though, when the calves are raised in 2 foot by 4 foot crates.

So I decided to try vegetarianism. I know my limits, though--veganism is right out, on account of I refuse to give up milk, ever. And I'm only going to do it for a week; if I don't like it, I can go right back to my meat-eating ways.

The only thing is that I'm going to have to cook. UGH. I HATE COOKING. But, in for a penny, etc. So I got some recipes from the internet and went to the store and bought a whole bunch of ingredients. And a food processor. And some knives. And a cutting board. My kitchen is so under-stocked, you guys.

When I got home, I immediately put all my new stuff (minus the food) into the dishwasher. Later, I got out the knives and placed them neatly in their block, and I pulled out the muffin pan and put it on the stove (no storage, either), and generally found a place for everything. The last thing I pulled out was the food processing blade; it was stuck in the little silverware basket. I looked at the problem from all angles and then reached in and tried to pry it out with my finger.

You know what happened next:


And that is why the end of my finger looks like a tampon. The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One possible goal of vegetarianism is to reduce the amount of suffering in the world, not increase it. OUCH. Sorry about your injury!

If you hate to cook and want to minimize your time in the kitchen, I suggest Moosewood Cooks at Home. Most of the recipes take half an hour or less to prepare--and they're actually really good, too.

Good luck!

 

Made by Lena