10.02.2007

Unexpected

I have this one student every day during first period; one day she's in my reading class, and the other day she's in my English class.

At the beginning of the year, she gave me a some attitude, and I had to shut her down. I thought she and I were not going to get along at all, but it turns out I really like her.

It all started a few weeks ago, when we were taking school pictures. Every fall and spring the same local studio comes and takes over the library for two days and snaps less-than-flattering photos that grandchildren will laugh at for all eternity.

Even though I'd told my English class about the pictures, I'd forgotten to remind them the day before, so I took the opportunity to tell MM during her reading class.

"MM," I said, "make sure you look nice tomorrow for your yearbook picture."

"Ms. Flower!" she exclaimed. "Are you saying I look like crap?"

While making my flustered denials, in the back of my head, I thought, "Wait. What? Is this ... YOU MEAN SHE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR????"

And we haven't had a problem since.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena