1.14.2007

Finally, the weekend

Due to the State Thespian Conference, I have put in four days' worth of work in only two days time. That takes a toll.

This is the third year I've gone to the conference, and I think I get a little less excited every year. The kids love it, but I don't have that much to do. Plus, there are a thousand kids--DRAMA KIDS--running around being crazy, and my teacher-self has a hard time not snapping fingers and threatening detention.

On the plus side, it's nice to be in an environment where everything doesn't revolve around the football team, and where the kids who are ... um ... different can feel like they belong. Of course, since they are teenagers, there is a lot of non-theatrical drama going on as well (I overheard an argument in which two girls were fighting over one of them having PUT A DRESS IN HER CAR. Ah, self-righteous indignation, how I love you!).

And we got to see some great shows, including a production of The Fantasticks, which was ... well, it's right there in the title. I did some knitting, did some reading, and generally avoided the other teachers (because there is a lot of non-theatrical drama brewing in the hospitality suite, too. There was this one guy pontificating about his voiceover work and I was like, "Please, guy: HUMILITY. Learn it, love it, live it." Only I didn't say anything and put my head down so noone would see me roll my eyes.).

So, even though it was long, and exhausting, and kind of boring, it was worth it. Especially since I have tomorrow off to make up for all that sleep I lost.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena