7.07.2006

Finally, Knitting

I'd sort of hit the knitting wall, as it were, and haven't been doing much this summer. I just couldn't find something to inspire that knitting fever, that rush of adrenaline, that junkie's NEED TO KNIT fervor.

But I did find this, the Green Gable by Zephyr Style. I thought it was super-cute, and it looked sort of easy. I haven't made a sweater for a real person yet, but I thought I'd try it out. Plus, if it didn't work, I could rip it out and pretend it never happened.

Here's where I'm at now:
It's all bunched up right now, so it doesn't look like much. But I guarantee it will, eventually, be a wearable garment. Right now, the sleeves are not separated for the body, which accounts for some of the bunching, but in only two rows, those babies will be off the needles and all I'll have to do is knit about six hundred more rows.

This is Cascade Cotton Rich in Fuschia. I was a little tentative about working with cotton, because I'd heard from other knitters that it could be very heavy and hard to work with, but I have no complaints. It's not rough on my fingers, and though it's heavier than say, sock yarn, I haven't noticed that it's putting any strain on my arms.

The thing I like most about it is that the stitch definition is absolutely awesome. You can see it a little bit in the picture, but in person, it's very clear.

It's knit from the top down (a technique I hadn't tried before, but TOTALLY LOVE), and it really is easy. I've modified the pattern somewhat, just to see if I could, and it's worked out pretty well ... so far. I don't have to think a lot when I work on it, which is great because I can clean out my Tivo and beef up my wardrobe all at the same time. Multi-tasker, that's me.

Hopefully, I'll have picture of the finished project next week soon.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena